Thursday, April 2, 2009

Baby I Love Your Way: Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam - 1999



STONE GOSSARD (PEARL JAM) - 1999

I had the good fortune of attending the midnight Prince show last Saturday, the last of three sets in a row that the Purple One played that day. I wanted to follow that up with some discussion of Prince's 90's musical output, but alas, when I searched 'Prince' on YouTube, all the audio in his clips is muted. Because Prince has had oodles of trouble protecting his music in the past, I will forgive this travesty. But, in searching for playable Prince YouTube videos, I did stumble upon the unexpected treat of Pearl Jam guitarist Stone Gossard covering Prince's classic 1982 hit, "1999."

In celebration of the followup album to Stone's 2001 solo album "Bayleaf," several of the songs have been made available on Pearl Jam's website, including "1999." The films of the band playing these songs are lovely, and I am digging the country rock direction that Stone is going in, it's very Wilco-ish.

Sit back on the porch swing and enjoy a mint julep to this:

No comments: