Monday, December 22, 2008

I Can't Believe You Don't Own This F%#kin' Record - Pearl Jam - Ten Reissue


PEARL JAM - TEN (1991)

Woo buddy I loved this record in the 90's. First things first: Pearl Jam's seminal 90's album "Ten" is being reissued in March 2009 in four different packages, each containing a digitally remastered version of the original album (with additional artwork by Ten's original graphic designer, PJ bassist Jeff Ament) with a special treat, such as the two versions including the DVD of PJ's 1992 "MTV Unplugged" set, which I highly recommend picking up. More info about this release and the impending avalanche of Pearl Jam reissues here at Paste Magazine.

Now, on to my utter surprise that you don't own this effin' record. As Mike Myers's Wayne Campbell points out in the eternally-funny 1992 film, "Wayne's World," Peter Frampton's "Frampton Comes Alive!" was sent to suburban kids in the mail with sample boxes of Tide. Pearl Jam's "Ten" was similarly issued to 90's suburban brats.

Where to start with this controversial record? Controversial in that it spawned more than its fair share of terrible imitators: singers refusing to acknowledge the vulnerability in Eddie Vedder's impressively emotive baritone, instead merely Xeroxing its power, ending up laughable caricatures of masculine ego-tripping (see: Creed) and the bands themselves mangling Pearl Jam's nascent melding of punkish energy and 70's style arena rock.

"Obsessed" is not strong enough of a word to describe my passion for this record. Though the fervor has faded, I still stroll back and take in the occasional listen to this still quite effective album. Though some songs sound somewhat dated, the raw power the songs exhibit is what keeps the real rock fan coming back to this classic.



SIDE ONE: "Once" kicks off the album strongly with dark lyrics involving guns and loss of control, making sure you understand where the record is going; on to the exceptional powerhouses "Even Flow, and "Alive," the latter of which is an epic Oedipal saga that has become part of PJ lore; "Why Go," another barn-burner of a song with a funky rumbling bassline that makes rock chicks like me shake it...to the blessed "Black," the song that I credit for my introduction to rock music. I have no idea what Eddie is going on about in "Black" to this day, but it is beautiful.

Then of course, "Jeremy," who spoke in class today, as you well know. I watched that video so many times that I'm sure I could direct a shot-by-shot remake of the the thing from memory. I always enjoyed the last half-minute after Jeremy blew himself away in front of his classmates and they're frozen in place, shielding themselves from his bright red blood. You can check this Mark Pellington-directed version of "Jeremy" here. Also, if you love this video, you may want to rent a copy of Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky's 1962 film "Ivan's Childhood." There are quite a few visuals in this film that are incredibly similar to Pellington's version of "Jeremy." Flip the tape.

SIDE TWO: I always felt that the B side of this tape (Yes, I AM that old) was the more sensual, underrated side of Ten. Okay, so I definitely excerpted "Oceans" for the quote in my high school yearbook, but don't let that deter you from enjoying a truly lovely song about a boy and his surfboard. I love its Led Zeppelin-tinged sound, so dreamy.

"Porch" was actually my favorite track off Ten for a little while. PJ performed a terrific version of this song on their "MTV Unplugged..." some of you may remember when Eddie Vedder jumped on top of his stool as the band wailed on this tune, and teetered up in the air while scrawling "PRO-CHOICE" on his arm with a black marker. This is actually quite remarkable when you consider our current post-Janet Jackson "Nipplegate" pop culture where hardly anything truly spontaneous happens on TV anymore; "Garden" and "Deep" are both emotionally immersing experiences, full of angst while stroking our need for catharsis...both have powerful choruses that just plain feel good to belt out.

"Release" is the quiet storm of the record, a slow cookin' jam that I find sexy, moving and emblematic of the attractive vulnerability of the Eddie Vedder persona at the time. I think what the Scott Stapps of the world missed about Eddie Vedder's charisma was that he didn't think of himself as a god (there's even a PJ bootleg called "No F$#kin' Messiah!"), but as an angry, mixed-up kid. Like all the rest of us.

Pearl Jam's "Ten" also had the bonus tracks "Wash" and "Dirty Frank" that could only be found on the UK/German imports. "Wash" is my shizz. It is one of my top five fave PJ songs by far. It is down and dirty sex. Download yourself a copy. "Dirty Frank" is a fun riff on Red Hot Chili Peppers-style funk, if somewhat un-PC; hence, fun. On Japanese import only was their cover of The Beatles' "I've Got A Feeling," which I love so much that it will appear in its own "Baby I Love Your Way" column here on Damn The Man.

Enough dancing about architecture...Pearl Jam videos!! Enjoy:



Pearl Jam - Porch (MTV Unplugged)



Pearl Jam - Jeremy (Alternate Version of Video)



Pearl Jam - Black (MTV Unplugged)



Pearl Jam - Wash (1991 - Live at Tower Records, Yonkers, NY [My Hometown!!Y.O. Represent!])

Someone in the comments to the video of Pearl Jam at the Tower in my town totally feels me: "Goddamn I used to love that store." Tower Records in Yonkers was a mecca to disaffected youth of all stripes for the entirety of the 90's. It no longer exists (although with other Yonkers freak hangouts like Rockin' Rex...), but is sorely missed. This PJ video blows my mind. You couldn't have told me they played in Yonkers. I can't believe I missed this show.

No comments: