Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Upcoming Show: Butthole Surfers at Warsaw, Brooklyn, NY, December 12, 2008*





The Butthole Surfers have been around since the early 80's, but they never really caught mainstream success until the release of their 1996 record, "Electric Larryland," which contained the weird, surreal, yet immensely hummable tune, "Pepper." I wanted to mention their December 12 show in New York because The Buttholes have been coming up time and again for me lately. The Butthole Surfers are mentioned as quite an obvious influence on The Flaming Lips in their 2005 documentary, "The Fearless freaks"; and, as a result of The Big Dig at my parent's house over the Thanksgiving break, I found a copy of Michael Azerrad's fabulous book called "Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991," which features quite an informative section on the Butthole Surfers long history as a band and the influence that they've had on other successful rock bands.

Though "Pepper" was an amusingly Beck-esque radio airplay diversion, I knew who the Buttholes were before through their 1993 record " Independent Worm Saloon," and especially the frenetic single, "Who Was In My Room Last Night?" I loved this song because it was kinda crazy and had near-industrial levels of noise in it, which was required listening for a 90's teenager like myself. Enjoy:



Butthole Surfers - Who Was In My Room Last Night? (1993)



Butthole Surfers - Pepper (1996)

Gibby Haynes is pretty awesome.

*CORRECTION: This post originally stated that the December 12 Butthole Surfers show would be at Irving Plaza. Damn The Man is sorry about the error.

No comments: