Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Baby I Love Your Way: Pearl Jam - I've Got A Feeling



PEARL JAM - I'VE GOT A FEELING

Now, there is nothing that Your 90's-ologist loves to do more than reminisce over Ten-era Pearl Jam. I felt a ping of regret in my heart when Epic reissued 1991's "Ten" this past March because it would never again be the first time I was hearing that album.

Then I saw Paul McCartney bust some moves onstage at Coachella a couple of weeks ago, and he performed The Beatles' 1970 hit song "I've Got A Feeling," from their hit album "Let It Be," and it reminded me of just how much I used to love Pearl Jam's cover of this song in the early 90's.

"I've Got A Feeling" is an interesting mash of two unfinished songs written by McCartney ("I've Got A Feeling") and John Lennon ("Everybody Had A Hard Year/Watching Rainbows") ... Pearl Jam included their take on the song on Japanese releases of "Ten." It eventually made its way back to the States through bootlegs, which is how I first heard it, I believe. At the time, I knew it wasn't an original PJ track, but had no clue it was a Beatles song, which seems crazy, but black folks don't pump "Let It Be" on their hi-fi stereos. I was a newborn babe to rock, and Pearl Jam was there to guide me.

I love the idealistic quality of this song. It feels like drinking a tall, cold glass of water...refreshing. Enjoy:



The "Andy" that Eddie Vedder mentions in this version of the song is Andrew Wood, singer of Seattle band Mother Love Bone who died of a heroin overdose in 1990. Pearl Jam is partly comprised of Mother Love Bone members: Jeff Ament on bass and guitarist Stone Gossard.

No comments: