Saturday, February 28, 2009

Baby I Love Your Way: The Secret Handshake - I Wish




THE SECRET HANDSHAKE - "I WISH" from the 2008 album, "Punk Goes Crunk"

I ran into this looking for the video for Skee-Lo's 1995 hit single "I Wish" on YouTube. It's a cover by Texan electronic musician Luis Dubuc, who goes by the moniker The Secret Handshake, for the 2008 compilation record "Punk Goes Crunk" on Fearless Records.

I don't know anything about Mr. Handshake, but unlike many hardcore devotees of Skee-Lo on YouTube who felt this was the "white people version" of the song, I thought this was an interesting riff on what was an already languidly atmospheric electronic production. In other words, don't hate on an electro-pop update. Judge for oneself:



Though I agree that this is in no way better than the original, it is fun to imagine T-Pain performing this song in one of those top hats he's into wearing. He's on a boat, mamma-jammas!

No comments: