Thursday, November 27, 2008

HAPPY TURKEY DAY!! Grandma Take Me Home!!


I am a little loopy since I just spent almost four hours in the car with my mother, father and brother in the holiday traffic coming from my Grandma's house in Far Rockaway. Oh, the horror.

I know I seem very enthusiastic about pretty much everything here at Damn The Man; I am a fan of the exclamation point. This, however, is a clever illusion: I actually like very little, besides the 90's, and turkeys. I love turkeys. They are an extremely funny-looking, yet oddly beautiful animal, and they taste great too. I watch them walking around with the deer at my parent's house when I make it back here. It's like National Geographic.


One 90's tune that I think of when I think of Thanksgiving is Nirvana's 1990 single "Sliver," which can be found on their 1992 compilation record, "Incesticide." This song was to me a really accurate and poignant summation of what it's like to be a little kid and forced to attend awkward family gatherings or get dropped off at a relative's house against your will. As someone with a very large and loud extended family who regularly met at Grandma's, it seemed, to torture me and my brother (we're not the most extroverted folks), I could totally relate. Enjoy your second helping of Thanksgiving dinner:



Nirvana - Sliver (1990)

Speaking of Nirvana, please be sure to check out The Foo Fighters on the Thanksgiving episode of "Top Chef" on Bravo! Dave Grohl provides my new favorite quote on this show: "Did someone offend the S'mores guy? Because I think he spit on mine."

No comments: