Tuesday, November 4, 2008

See You At The Show: Cypress Hill's Haunted Hill Halloween Concert at the Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA - October 31, 2008


There are those of you who have been wanting to know what I thought of the Cypress Halloween show at the Wiltern this past Friday. Since I'm already a tad preoccupied with thoughts of the election dancing in my head, I can sum up my reaction in one image:



If this is not enough, I can say that I was duly impressed, especially since I expected something far more cartoonish and pop out of these guys. Cypress is hardcore, so let's just get that out of the way. Second, they're consummate performers. They reminded me quite a bit of Public Enemy actually, a thought affirmed once Sen Dog busted out a bit of Public Enemy (I'm sorry, I did not note which song, because I was not myself, let's just say), sounding just like Chuck D. All the members of Cypress Hill are terrific drummers as well; they routinely broke down songs on the bongos and drum set, which was highly visually and aurally entertaining.

They did every song that you expected to hear, including "Insane in the Membrane," "How I Could Just Kill a Man," "Cock The Hammer," "I Ain't Goin' Out Like That," "Hits From The Bong," and "Rock Superstar," the last of which was enhanced by the very rad audience with someone down front unfurling a flag and waving it to and fro, "Les Miserables" style. Believe me, if you've heard the song and were on a totally different planet like the entire audience was, this was very dramatic, like we were leading the troops into the battle for kush.

In fact, I shall leave you with the video of Velvet Revolver and Cypress Hill busting out "Rock Superstar," please enjoy:

No comments: