Friday, November 14, 2008

Upcoming Show: The Breeders at The Wiltern, Los Angeles, November 17, 2008


Hey there 90's fans!! Some of you may have noticed the lag in activity at Ye Olde Nineties blog, and for that I'm sorry. I haven't left you guys hanging though; in fact, I am very happy to alert you guys to The Breeders' show at the Wiltern in Los Angeles on Monday. If you are anywhere approaching the age of 30, you remember 1993. And more importantly, you remember when the single "Cannonball" from their 1993 album "Last Splash" blew up. That video with the rad cutaways to Jim Macpherson wailing on the drum kit (sadly, he is no longer the drummer...his path eventually led him to one of my true 90's obsessions, Ohio indie-rock stalwarts Guided By Voices), the weird yet beautiful twin sisters, Kim and Kelley Deal, and "the bong in this reggae song." You loved it. I know it's totally not cool to fixate on the commercially successful record from a band with indie roots, but whatevs. I love Last Splash, especially for one of the most heart-achingly poignant summer songs ever written, "Divine Hammer." Please enjoy them with me on Monday if you will be in the L.A. Metro area.



The Breeders - "Divine Hammer" (1993)

No comments: