Friday, January 9, 2009

I Can't Believe You Don't Own This F%#kin' Record - Luscious Jackson - In Search of Manny EP


LUSCIOUS JACKSON - IN SEARCH OF MANNY (EP) (1992)

This collection of three songs from their demo record and four new tunes was a staple in my listening cycle in the early 90's. At the time, I was deep in the process of expanding the types of music I listened to, and this record helped smooth the transition from shiny pop and dance music to more eclectic hip-hop and rock with its clever melange of all these styles.

Unfortunately, it's probable that even fans of Luscious Jackson don't know this record at this point, but I remember when this EP made quite a splash with music critics, so much so that all the heavy breathing practically forced me to use my allowance money to trek to Tower and buy it. I was not disappointed. It's as rough-hewn as a demo record nearly all the way through, but it's mesmerizing in its ability to surprise the listener with its consistent hooks, sometimes aggressive nature and female coolness. It's Riot Grrl with more melody; hip-hop with less gloss or floss.

Here's a track off the album courtesy of YouTube. Enjoy!



Luscious Jackson - She Be Wantin' It More

Sorry if bad kitty offends you. I don't know what is with some of the folks that post mp3s on YouTube, although I commend their efforts.

So apparently in 1995, Michael Stipe of R.E.M. performed "Evil Woman" with Luscious Jackson as the backing band at Madison Square Garden on their "Monster" tour. I could not find this tape, so you're going to have to be happy with a video of ELO themselves playing the song. Though the vocals are out of sync (sorry), I will use any excuse possible to play this song. It's the jam.



ELO - Evil Woman (1975)

No comments: