Friday, January 9, 2009

Soundtrack of Your Life: Kostars - "Red Umbrella"


KOSTARS - RED UMBRELLA from the 1996 album "Klassics With a 'K'"

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fantastic Luscious Jackson side project, Kostars, and their beautiful summer song, "Red Umbrella." Keyboardist Vivian Trimble and bassist Jill Cunniff formed to produce only one record under this name, but the effort was well worth it to produce this light, floating piece of bossa nova acoustic goodness. I am a big fan of Brazilian samba and bossa nova like Astrud Gilberto, and this song is a fitting update of the genre. It's sexy, it's wistful, it's nostalgic...kind of like the 90's itself.

Enjoy the lovely video to Red Umbrella:



Tell me that video is not a breath of fresh air. It makes me want to grab my movie star sunglasses, a couple of shift dresses and jet off to Mallorca or somewhere. If only.

No comments: