Monday, January 26, 2009

One In A Million: Info on Upcoming Aaliyah Biopic





Meet Keisha Chante. She's a Canadian singer who's going to be portraying Damn The Man favorite and 90's R&B songstress Aaliyah in an upcoming Bill Condon-directed biopic (Condon also helmed "Dreamgirls" and a future Movies You Might Have Missed feature, "Gods and Monsters" (1998). I have to thank my favorite gossip site, Bossip, for tipping me off on this one. If you need a bit more reputable resource, BET can help you.

Here's what Bill has to say about preparing Miss Chante for the role:

“We are going to great extremities to make this movie perfect. We have (Keisha) Chante in extensive… …training studying, speaking with family members, watching personal footage and in choreography training with Aaliyah’s choreographer and dear friend Fatima Robinson. This movie will will be seamless the same way it was for Selena fans who enjoyed Jennifer Lopez.”

It kind of makes me chuckle that the 1997 film "Selena" is the yardstick for excellence with this thing, since I thought I was the only one who really liked that movie. One can, apparently, be wrong about such a thing. Future Shawshank Redemption of Mainstream Cinema feature here on Damn The Man, I promise!

Your 90's-ologist feels that this Keisha chick looks a'ight, I guess, but there is no replacement for the real thing:



Aaliyah - "The One I Gave My Heart To" from her 1996 album, "One In A Million"

No comments: