Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Soundtrack of Your Life: The Verve - "On Your Own"


THE VERVE - "ON YOUR OWN" (FROM THE 1995 ALBUM, "A NORTHERN SOUL")

When it comes to 90's British rock bands, if Oasis was the Beatles, then The Verve was the Rolling Stones, and I am a Stones girl all the way. Before "Bittersweet Symphony" and "Urban Hymns" was this song. I remember seeing the video for "On Your Own" late at night on one of MTV's "alternative" rock shows, probably "120 Minutes," and was entranced. From frontman Richard Ashcroft's adorably Mick Jagger-ish English gauntness, to the haunting cinematography that perfectly complemented the equally haunting melody, I was hooked. I think I am actually more in love with this song than any other one in The Verve's entire output. It's that good. Enjoy please:

No comments: