Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Baby I Love Your Way: Saint Etienne - "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"


In honor of my rilly super bummed out disposition at the Forum Neil Young show being cancelled, the next few "Baby I Love Your Way" features will be 90's band cover versions of classic Neil Young songs.





English band Saint Etienne rose to the attention of American audiences in the 90's with their dynamic dance cover version of Neil Young's 1970 hit single, "Only Love Can Break Your Heart," featured on their very cool 1991 record "Foxbase Alpha."

I love this cover because this version is just so amazingly different from the original, but it brings out the essence of the song and molds and shapes it into this incredibly crisp and driving tune. The band very knowingly assert with their highly rhythmic version that it can be just as lonely surviving a breakup while dropping pills in a nightclub as it is downing brews at the local dive bar. I am a big fan of this early 90's house music style as well, it just speaks to my need to shake my thing. Take a listen, then listen to Neil Young's signature whine afterward:



No comments: