Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Upcoming Show: Liz Phair at The Troubadour, West Hollywood, CA, October 6



Lots of shows coming up for 90's fans...Liz Phair was a Queen among Girl Indie Rockers back in the 90's. For those of you too young to remember, women were actually in rock bands back then, and not just as window dressing (i.e., robotic lead singers). Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville (1993) album on Matador Records caused male writers to lose it over her beauty AND her brains. Of course, her music has gone the way of more superficial pop as corporate music labels think that we like it, but I can never put down a lady who wrote the lyrics:

Every time I see your face
I get all wet between my legs
Every time you pass me by
I heave a sigh of pain

Every time I see your face
I think of things not pure and chaste
I want to f*ck you like a dog
I'll take you home and make you like it

Liz Phair - "Flower" - Exile in Guyville

Here is the first Liz Phair video I ever saw, probably on MTV's "120 Minutes" or something. Racy, neo-feminist lyrics aside, I actually have to admit that I wasn't surprised when she moved to Capitol Records and put out much more blatantly slick pop. There's always been something inherently poppy about her music and she had been moving on to a more mainstream sound since her second album Whip-Smart (1994). She was also not afraid to capitalize on her all-American blonde good looks, as evidenced by "Never Said" below:



Liz Phair - Never Said (1993)

Liz Phair will be playing The Troubadour in West Hollywood (9081 Santa Monica Blvd) on Monday, October 6. It'll set you back $25 duckets, by the way. And, as always, enjoy!

No comments: