Thursday, October 16, 2008

Soundtrack of Your Life: Brand New Heavies - "Dream On Dreamer/Never Stop"



In a way, I wish all R&B could float as effervescent and light as the UK's Brand New Heavies. Like Soul II Soul before them, listening to their music feels inspiring and motivational...something a cynic like me needs every so often. Though singer N'Dea Davenport's vocals weren't as technically wowing as some of her American counterparts, there's just something really sophisticated about the pairing of her voice with this incredibly adept acid jazz/funk music. These songs would take me away to my second life on the French Riveria, wearing big black sunglasses and a Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress, waiting for my foreign lover (Italian, Greek, whatever--he doesn't speak English and I don't care) on his Vespa. Enough of my Continental fantasies, here are the songs:



Brand New Heavies - "Dream On Dreamer" (1994)



Brand New Heavies - "Never Stop" (1991)

The image at the top of the post is from their 2006 record, "Get Used to It," which has recently been remixed by the legendary Tom Moulton (American originator of the remix and the 12-inch single), and is available as "Get Used To It - The Tom Moulton Mixes" (2008).

No comments: