Friday, October 10, 2008

LL Cool J Remix Competition at Boomdizzle.com


I was unabashedly a rock chick back in the day, but being a little black girl from New York, New York, hip-hop is in my blood, literally. My father was born in NY and raised in the Bronx River housing projects, the epicenter of early hip-hop. My parents went to the block parties where Kraftwerk was mixed with street beats, and my Dad still has Afrika Bambaataa on speed dial. There's no avoiding hip-hop on this blog, not especially that the 1990s are considered a golden age of hip-hop culture.

I think the prize for this competition is cool, so I decided to let you know: Boomdizzle.com is hosting a remix competition as part of Def Jam's release of Uncle L's new album, "Exit 13." The two best remixes will win a new Denon DJ DN-S1000 CD/MP3 Player. Please head here if you want to participate. Here's one of the tracks available for remixing, "You Better Watch Me."



LL's 90's incarnation began with the venerable album, "Mama Said Knock You Out" (1990), and because the 2008 film "The Wackness" played out my beloved "Around The Way Girl," I'll offer you an alternative:



LL Cool J - "Jingling Baby" - Mama Said Knock you Out (1990)



LL in the mid-90's after he fully admits that he was a sex addict is my preferred choice when I'm riding in my red convertible, top down:



LL Cool J - "Doin' It" - Mr. Smith (1995)

(NSFW!)

No comments: