Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mellow Man Ace Album Release Party at Knitting Factory Hollywood - October 17



If you were in junior high in the late 80's/early 90's, then you remember the cassingle. This was the cassette of a single hit song. I had an enviable collection of these, and one of the crowned jewels of said collection was Mellow Man Ace's 1990 single "Mentirosa." This is why it excites me to tell you that the former member of Cypress Hill (like early, EARLY member, before they even came out...he's Sen Dog's brother) has a new album titled "La Familia Vol. 1" that will be celebrated at a record release party this Friday, October 17, at Knitting Factory Hollywood. It's got B-Real and Sen Dog of Cypress on it, if that is at all important to you.

I loved this song back in the day. It was the first bilingual rap song that I can remember, and it definitely got me in a deep conversation with my Mom about Santana, I'm sure (it samples his 1969 song "Evil Ways"), she's a big fan. Here is the video for the curious:



Mellow Man Ace - "Mentirosa" from the 1989 album "Escape from Havana"

No comments: