Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Movies You Might Have Missed: Box of Moonlight



BOX OF MOONLIGHT (1996) - DIR. TOM DICILLO

I was watching the very funny movie Galaxy Quest (1999) today (a film that I think more highly of now that I am an unyielding fan of the revamped Battlestar Galactica series) purely for a taste of my man Sam Rockwell, an actor who made my 90's decade with his appearance in director Tom DiCillo's third indie feature film, Box of Moonlight.

This film was like late night cable watcher's manna from heaven...Firstly, it starred John Turturro. 'Nuff said. Second, it was directed by Tom DiCillo, a man who made one of the funniest movies ever about movies, Living in Oblivion (1995). We'll discuss that gem down the road on this blog, no doubt. Third, Box of Moonlight features a breakthrough performance by a then little-known Sam Rockwell.

Sam is one of my very favorite actors ever, mostly because he is a geek girl's dream. He's kind of an anti-George Clooney (making it super-ironic and 90's that he starred in Clooney's directorial debut, "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind"); he's not tall, dark and handsome, but he's got some unspeakable something that makes one feel that he'd be alot of fun where it counts most. This mischief and trickery has been the hallmark of many a Rockwell performance, and it kind of all started here, in a Daniel Boone cap and buckskins. Sex.

This is not the best film (Living in Oblivion is the best, like I said), but it is great for my insomniac friends, when they need a late night treat, who can appreciate a road movie storyline, a strong supporting performance and lotsa ruminations on "just what is this life for, anyway?"

I wish that I had a better excerpt of the film to show you, but I do thank the YouTube poster that was so thoughtful as to try and put this wonderful little film up for us. Here goes it, friends:



Sam is appearing in the feature film adaptation of the 2001 Chuck Palahniuk book, "Choke," which was released in theaters on September 26. Chuck wrote the powerhouse book, "Fight Club," which then became the 1999 film of the same name, which will also be lovingly stroked at this blog at a later date. As you will see, Choke also stars Kelly McDonald, who herself had a breakthrough performance in the 1996 film, "Trainspotting," another 90's hit which will soon find its way to Damn the Man. For now, here is the trailer to Choke for your perusal:



I love Sam Rockwell. Love him. I saw this film at an advance screening and, because I came late, was very embarrassed as to have to sit in the front row right across from him during the Q&A. I was afraid he could feel my fangirl rays bouncing off his forehead as I stared at him. Then, when it was over, my fiance asked him why he wasn't wearing any socks (he wasn't), and he looked down at his feet and replied, "I don't know." This only made me love him more.

No comments: