Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky



All four of my loyal readers know that I am a big fan of English filmmaker Mike Leigh, and it is my pleasure to alert you to his new film, "Happy-Go-Lucky" (2008), which appears in theaters in limited release on Friday, October 10. This film has already earned Sally Hawkins, another in a long line of talented actresses whom Leigh employs, a Best Actress honor at the Berlin Film Festival and major Oscar buzz. I am already loving this actress's light and fizzy optimism, which is about as far away in temperament from Naked's Johnny as one can get:



Armond White of the New York Press has written a very good review of the film which you can read here. I myself have yet to see the movie, but I am definitely looking forward to it, especially considering that it's already gotten 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Here is a Film 4 presentation of an interview with Mike Leigh and Happy-Go-Lucky star, Sally Hawkins:

No comments: