Friday, October 10, 2008

I Can't Believe You Don't Own This F%#kin' Record - Life of Agony - River Runs Red & Upcoming Show



LIFE OF AGONY - RIVER RUNS RED (1993)

This is a hybrid: A.) Life of Agony will be playing in NY, NY at the Blender Theater at Gramercy (127 East 23rd Street) on Sunday, December 14 for you Right Coast NYHC fans. B.) Let's talk about my soft spot for LOA and their debut album, "River Runs Red."

I mentioned how hip-hop is in the blood of native New Yorkers; well, so is hardcore punk and metal. In fact, many of my NY brethren listened to both with equal devotion. Life of Agony, who hail from Brooklyn, hit me in the little metal sweet spot in my heart. They were hard and angry, but the songs seemed to stem from a genuine place of loneliness and hurt, like they were just kids wanting to be understood (unlike some of the more superficially testoterone-driven metalcore of the period), which was exemplified in the voice (and lyrics) of singer Keith Caputo. I think Caputo was as formidable a singer as any of that early 90's period, including Layne Staley of Alice in Chains and Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. Check him out on the title track to test me, if you will:



Life of Agony - "River Runs Red" - River Runs Red (1993)

And here's the video for "Through and Through" off this album. Please check out the entirety of River Runs Red if you are a burgeoning metal fan, you will not regret it:

No comments: